I Have Been Battling A Respiratory Infection For 6 Weeks Now. My Immune System Is Also Very Low. Can You Recommend Some Home Remedies?
An upper respiratory tract infection can leave you weak and debilitated, especially if you have been battling the disease for more than a month. Some doctors and medical experts recommend the use of Vitamin C in preventing and treating upper respiratory infections. While some studies have failed to establish the effect of vitamin C supplementation in bringing down the incidence of colds, some other studies have discovered that Vitamin C could be administered to people who have had brief periods of infections.
In order to regain your strength and renew your immunity functions, eating a balanced diet is vital for an effectively performing and functioning immune system. A diet that is rich in fresh fruits and fresh green vegetables is abundant in phytonutrients, which is decisive in enhancing the body’s immunity as well as supplying significant vitamins and minerals.
A stable and proportionate consumption of essential vitamins and mineral helps the body in keeping the immune systems working properly by supplying it with requisite protection from illnesses and infections. Fresh fish, lean poultry and meat, low-fat milk and milk products, food grains and legumes are excellent sources of vitamins and minerals. Food products like cheese and eggs provide the body with vitamin A, while spinach leaves, yams or carrots, supply beta carotene to the body, which can be consumed daily.
Refrain from using animal fats in preparing your food and restrict your intake of sugar, alcohol, and caffeine along with refined carbohydrates. Ensure that you receive plenty of sleep – to allow your body to get recharged from stress and strain. It is believed that in deep sleep, the body releases powerful immune-enhancing chemicals and compounds to boost the immune function. Light exercises are also known to boost the immunity levels in the body. Persons who have more repeated and continuing intervals of psychological pressure stand at a greater risk for a upper respiratory infection. Even though additional research is needed, some studies have revealed that managing stress therapy such as cognitive-behavioral techniques, muscle relaxation techniques, concentrated and practiced breathing, tranquility, or guided imagery can help in enhancing the functioning of the immunity system and bringing down the duration of the ailing period.
Among herbs, burdock is believed to restrain allergy and cold symptoms while certain home remedies that involve the use of green tea, pine bark and grape seed extracts are considered to be potent antioxidants for boosting the immunity.
answered by G M on Feb 17, 2010, 6:08:52
You will find the following remedies useful in the treatment of respiratory infection.
- Eat spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom and roots like ginger, horseradish, garlic and onions. It will help in building strength to ward off infections.
- The use of a linseed poultice is very effective in the treatment of respiratory infection. Place a hot poultice of linseed on the chest.
- Soak yourself in a hot Epsom – salts bath every night. This is proven to be highly beneficial.
- Eat foods rich in Vitamins that fight infection. Include lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts and grains in your diet. For e.g. apricot, lemon, tomato, carrots, onion, radish, and spinach.
- Clove is a spice that has a warming and pungent effect. This increases the heat in the stomach. The intake of cloves helps stimulate blood circulation and improves liver function. It is also a powerful antiseptic and is used to fight respiratory infections. In the respiratory system it helps clear the phlegm and serves to fend off colds and other infections.
- Drink fresh carrot juice with honey daily till you get rid of the infection. The expectorant properties in carrots eliminate excess mucus from the chest in coughs and colds. While the antiseptic properties serves to ward off infections and respiratory ailments.