6 Home Remedies for Safe Ear Wax Removal
Home Remedy Shop
Ear wax is nothing, but a naturally produced substance that protects the ears from bacteria and other external agents while acting as a lubricant for the ear and the ear canal. However, excess build up may cause discomfort, irritation, fullness sensation, dizziness, itching, and even partial hearing loss. Therefore, ear wax can be easily cleaned at home by trying some natural remedies for ear wax removal. Though, there are numerous methods available in the market for ear wax removal, but care should be taken as the ear is a very sensitive part of our body. So, any carelessness needs to be avoided while removing the ear wax.
Ear wax can cause irritation when there is a blockage or impaction due to its accumulation deep inside the ear canal. The wax gets pushed up deeper into the ear while inserting cotton swabs into it, hence, causing blockage and discomfort.
- Another most obvious reason is the use of any pointed object, such as bobby pins, inside the ear in order to remove the superficial wax, which pushes the earwax more inside into the ear.
- People, who use ear plugs or hearing aids, are more prone to ear wax blockage.
The warning signs of impacted ear wax are as follows:
- Itching of the ear canal
- Fullness or plugged sensation
- Ringing in the ear
- Discharge from the ear canal
- Decreased hearing
Home Remedies for Ear Wax Removal
How to remove ear wax build up at home? Well, there are a lot of home remedies. Some of the common natural remedies to unblock and remove the hardened ear wax are given below:
1. Try Saline Solution
Mix 1 teaspoon of salt in around ½ cup of warm water until it dissolves completely. Now, soak a cotton ball in the solution and squeeze few drops of it into the ear by slightly tilting your head upwards. Be in this position for some time so that the salty water properly gets inside the ear. Now, tilt your head in the opposite direction in order to drain out the solution from the ear. This is the best ear wax removal solution to get rid of the problem at home.
2. Hydrogen Peroxide
Mix equal parts of water hydrogen peroxide and water. Make sure that the hydrogen peroxide is not above 3%; otherwise, it may be harmful. Pour a few drops of it into the ear by tilting your head sideways. Let it settle down in the ear for some time. Now, tilt your head towards the opposite side and let the extra solution drain out. This is an effective ear wax removal solution.
3. Baby Oil/Glycerin
Soften the ear wax by putting a few drops of baby oil or mineral oil with the help of a dropper. Let the oil settle in for some time by placing a cotton ball at the ear opening. This prevents oil from oozing out before reaching the ear wax. Take out the cotton ball after some time in order to drain out the extra oil from the ear. Oil helps to soften the impacted ear wax while facilitating the removal of ear wax.
4. Vinegar and Rubbing Alcohol Solution
Mix equal parts of white vinegar and rubbing alcohol in a bowl or mug. Pour few drops into the ear clogged with ear wax. This solution greatly helps in getting rid of the ear wax, which can be irritating sometimes.
5. Olive Oil
One of the best ways to remove the ear wax is olive oil as it softens the ear wax, thus making it easier to come out from the ear. Put two-three drops of olive oil into the ear, affected by excessive blockage, during bedtime. Repeat it continuously for 3-4 days. Ear wax removal through olive oil is an effective way as it softens the ear wax, thereby making it easier to remove.
6. Warm Water
Pour little warm water in the affected ear. Leave it for a few seconds. Then, drain it out.
Note: Use only clean water.
Homeopathic Ear Wax Removal
Another way to safely remove ear wax is through homeopathic ear drops. One of the most effective homeopathic ear drops available in the market is ‘Similasan’s Ear Wax Relief’. It helps to relieve chronic ear wax blockage while softening the hardened ear wax.
Ear Wax Removal Kit
There are several ear wax removal kits available in the market, such as Debrox Earwax Removal Kit, Macks ProRinse Earwax Removal System, Squip Kyrosol Earwax Removal Kit.
Instructions to use these kits are provided on their packages. These kits are the better solutions for flushing ear wax.
Note: It is advisable to consult a doctor before using any such kits about the number of times you can use them, and especially if you want to use them for children less than 12 years of age.
How to prevent excess ear wax blockage?
Here are the preventive measures to remove ear wax blockage.
- In order to prevent blockage of ear wax, try keeping it moist by frequently running water into your ear while taking a bath. This will prevent the ear wax from getting dried up so that it doesn’t get blocked in the ear canal. Make sure, you drain the water from the ear after running it for some time.
- Don’t use any pointed objects inside the ears as it can cause ear infection while pWushing the wax deeper.
- Avoid inserting cotton swabs or ear buds into the ear canal. You can use them to remove exposed ear wax at the ear opening, but don’t push them deep inside the ear canal. It can push the excess ear wax inside the ear canal, thereby resulting into an impact.
- Don’t use candle ear wax remover. Ear candles are another method to remove ear wax, but it can be really dangerous as you need to hold the lighted candle very close to your ear. It can even burn your ear.
- Don’t use cold water or a strong jet to drain out the excess ear wax. Strong jet can lead to the damage of the ear drum while cold water may result into dizziness.
- Avoid using any other method to remove ear wax at home, such as suction.
- Don’t use any type of acidic liquid in order to soften the ear wax.
- It is a common myth to put hot oil in the ears. But, it should be avoided as hot oil can burn the skin inside the ear or ear drum, thereby causing infection.
- Avoid consumption of dairy products.
- Omega 3 fatty acids are good for mitigating the problem of ear wax. So, include walnuts, avocados, salmon, albacore and ground flax seed in your diet.
- Consult a doctor if the problem persists even after using home remedies.