30-MINUTE COCONUT CURRY
A vegan, gluten free 30-minute curry that’s loaded with veggies and swimming in a perfectly-spiced coconut milk broth. Coconut quinoa sends this over the top. Simple, healthy, fast and so delicious.
Author: Minimalist Baker
- 1 Tbsp coconut or olive oil
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced // 4 cloves yield ~2 Tbsp or 12 g)
- 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger*
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets (diced // or sub green bell pepper)
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/3 cup snow peas (loosely cut)
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 2 14-ounce cans light coconut milk (sub full-fat for richer texture)
- 1 cup veggie broth (DIY or store-bought)
- Sea salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 1 14-ounce can light coconut milk
- 1 cup white quinoa (rinsed in a fine mesh strainer*)
- 1 Tbsp agave nectar (optional)
FOR SERVING optional
- Fresh lemon juice
- Cilantro, mint, and/or basil
If serving with coconut quinoa, begin by washing thoroughly in a fine mesh strainer. Add to a medium saucepan over medium heat and toast for 3 minutes. Add light coconut milk and 1/2 cup water (amount as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size). Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the quinoa is light, fluffy and the liquid is absorbed. Set aside until serving.
In the meantime, heat a large saucepan or pot to medium heat and add coconut oil. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, carrot, broccoli and a pinch each salt and pepper and stir. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened – about 5 minutes.
Add curry powder, veggie stock, coconut milk, another healthy pinch of salt and stir. Bring to a simmer then reduce heat slightly and continue cooking for 10-15 minutes.
Add the snow peas and tomatoes in the last 5 minutes so they don’t overcook.
Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. I added another pinch or two of salt.
Serve over coconut quinoa (see other options below in notes) and garnish with fresh lemon juice and herbs.
* You can sub 1 tsp ground ginger per 1 Tbsp fresh.
*An alternative to coconut quinoa would be plain quinoa, millet, coconut rice, or white or brown rice.
*Curry slightly adapted from Tyler Florence
*Coconut quinoa adapted from Cookie and Kate
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.