Natural Remedy Ideas
Do you want to remove the bunions? Bunions can cause you to walk and exercise difficult. This article discusses natural remedies, lifestyle changes, foot exercise, and medical methods to eliminate bunions.
A bunion, also known as hallux valgus, is a painful bony bump that develops on the joint at the base of your big toes or pinky toes. When you wear poorly fitting shoes such as shoes with a narrow, your big toe will push against the next toe, and this will force the big toe into an unnatural position and make your big toe stick out. This can easily make joint inflamed, swelling, pain, and deformed.
You may find the joint enlarged and stretch out at the base of your big toe or pinky toe. The outer edge of the bunion may become red and puffy, just like a turnip. If left untreated, the bunion can also lead to calluses, corns, toe abnormalities, serious scars, and even hard to walk.
Common Causes of Bunions
Bunions may be caused by heredity, wearing poorly fitting shoes, foot deformity, uneven legs, stress on your foot, or other medical condition such as rheumatoid arthritis, gout, polio cerebral palsy, and Marfan syndrome.
A study found that wearing tight shoes or high heels will increase the probability of bunion. This will restrict blood flow and limit the normal range of motion of the big toe. This is why women are more prone to bunions.
An injury or poor form, such as excessive foot pronation, can also make your big toe visible shift toward the other toes. Point to the other toes and cause bunions. In addition, If you have an inherited faulty shape of the foot, you will be more prone to this disease.
Common Symptoms of Bunions
- A large bony lump that sticks out at the base of your big toe or pinky toe.
- Big toe or pinky toe points to the other toes.
- Redness, inflammation, swelling, burning sensation, or pain around the joint of your big toe.
- The pain will be persistent or intermittent.
- More and more pain when the bony bunion grows.
- Walking or exercising can aggravate the pain of your big toe joint.
- Corns or calluses on the bump.
- A lot of pain when you wear shoes, exercise, or stand up for a long time.
- Difficult to wear shoes and walk with stiff big toe because of the change in your foot structure.
4 Ways to Get Rid of Bunions Fast and Naturally
If you suffer from bunions, it is best to treat it in time; otherwise, symptoms may worsen, so you have to be treated by surgery. Luckily, some natural remedies can be done to effectively eliminate bunions at the soonest possible time. This article provides some best natural home remedies, lifestyle modifications, and medical treatments to eliminate bunions efficiently.
Method 1: 12 Natural Remedies to Remove Bunions Without Surgery
Massage With Essential Oils
Massaging with essential oils is one of the most effective natural remedies. It can improve the blood flow circulation to the toes and make excess deposits of the joints dissolve. This can help reduce the size of the bunion effectively.
Essential oils that come from the natural plant have anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and analgesic properties. It can help improve blood circulation and reduce inflammation, blisters, and bunion pain. In addition, It can help prevent calluses and reduce the size of the bunion naturally.
- First, warm up 10 drops of olive oil,10 drops of coconut oil, or castor oil in a pan. Do not overheat the oil; otherwise, it will hurt the skin.
- Apply the oil to the bunions with a thin cloth.
- Gently massage the affected area for about 5-10 minutes with your fingers.
- You can do this every night before you go to sleep.
- Repeat this process 2-4 times a day until there is a significant change of the bunions.
- This method usually takes 6-8 weeks to work.
Soak Your Feet With Essential Oil
Soaking the feet with oil is another great way to get rid of the inflammation due to bunions. It can help improve blood circulation to the feet. The essential oil can help soothe the bunions and relax your feet.
- Add 5 drops peppermint oil,5 drops lavender oil, and ½ cup Epsom salts into a foot soak tub with a gallon of hot water.
- Soak your feet in the water for 20 minutes or more. The warmth of the water will help reduce the tiredness and soreness of the feet.
- You can do this once a day or more if necessary.
Relieve Bunions Pain With Cold Compresses
Cold therapy is an easy but useful method to relieve inflammation and pain of bunions. According to a 2015 study, cold therapy such as ice treatment can effectively reduce the pain and discomfort caused by bunions.
If you feel that you are already having problems with bunions, you can make sure that you will not cause it to swell.
If your bunions are already swelling, you can make use of an ice pack to relieve the bunion pain. This can also numb nerve endings and reduce bunion pain and inflammation.
- Clean your feet with a block of mild soap and keep it fresh.
- Wrap several ice cubes in a thin washcloth or thin towel.
- Place it on your bunion for about 5 -10 minutes. Remember not to apply ice directly on the skin; otherwise, it may harm the foot skin.
- Remove the ice pack for 5 minutes.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times until you feel relief.
- Make sure not to place the ice pack for more than 15 minutes because this may be bad for the skin.
- Do this every time you feel pain because of your bunions.
Castor oil is excellent for treating bunions and other foot problems. Castor oil contains tannins, alkaloids, and flavonoids. This agent has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, anti-oxidation, antibacterial properties that can help reduce inflammation.
It also has antinociceptive properties that can help reduce swelling and foot pain caused by bunions.
- Warm the castor oil or olive oil with a pan first.
- Dip a clean cloth into the oil and place it on the bunions.
- Cover the cloth with another towel to make sure that the castor oil will stay heated. The heat of castor oil will improve the blood flow to the foot and relieve the pain.
- This can be done twice a day when the bunion hurts.
Olive oil is one of the most effective natural ways to remove your bunions. It contains anti-inflammatory phenolic compounds such as caffeic acid, oleocanthal that can help reduce stiffness, pain, and fatigue in the feet. It also can help treat other chronic diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis. You can also add olive oil to your diet.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a pan.
- Apply it directly to the affected area and massage gently for 10-20 minutes.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times daily for 3 weeks.
This is a popular folk remedy for many diseases such as muscle, joint pains, or cerebral palsy. It can also be used to remove the bunions.
The main reason why Epsom salt can be beneficial is that it contains magnesium sulfate that can help get rid of the inflammation and pain brought by the bunions. It can also help soften the skin of the foot.
- Add a handful of Epsom salt into the foot soak tub with warm water.
- Soak your feet in the water for about 20 minutes.
- You will start to feel that your pain is going away.
- Doing this every day can diminish the size of the bunions.
Bay Leaves For Bunions
Bay Leaves, also known as Laurus nobilis, is an effective method to eliminate bunions and associated joint pain. It has many health benefits, including preventing bacterial infections, treating diabetes, reducing inflammation, and accelerating wound healing.
They are also popular herbal treatments for various skin include corns and calluses. The bay leaves contain parthenolide which is a unique phytonutrient that can help reduce irritation and inflammation.
- Crush some fresh bay leaves into small pieces.
- Mix 1-2 tablespoons of bay leave with 300-500 ml cold water and heat it for 5-10 minutes.
- Keep the solution overnight in a thermos and filter them in the next morning.
- Drink this tea several times until you finish it in a day.
- Make sure to drink the tea in small sips.
- After drinking, makes a new one again.
- Repeat this treatment for 3-5 days, then rest for 3 days before starting again until your problem disappear.
Calendula, also called marigold, is a useful herb treatment for bunions. This is a natural alternative to surgery.
It has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce the swelling of the foot. It can also help get rid of other foot diseases such as bursa inflammation and plantar verruca.
According to a three-month study, calendula can eliminate pain in patients with bunions and reduce swelling by up to 25%.
- Mix 1 cup of olive oil and 1 cup of calendula petals in a pot.
- Heat the mixture for 2 hours. Make sure do not use high temperature, as this will destroy the ingredient of the calendula.
- Apply a small amount of mixture directly on the bunions.
- Gently massage the affected area for 15-20 minutes.
- You can do this 2-3 times daily for 2 weeks.
Red pepper is a useful natural remedy for bunions. The main reason why Red Pepper can be effective against bunions is that it has capsaicin which also has anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties. They can help reduce the size of the bunion and alleviate the pain efficiently.
However, too much red pepper may cause a stinging sensation. If you can not stand, you can slightly reduce the amount.
- Place a little bit of petroleum jelly on the area of the feet where the red pepper is going to be placed.
- Apply the red pepper on top and leave it on for a few minutes.
- Place a cloth on top of the red pepper so that you can feel the heat effectively.
Aspirin is an excellent natural way of treating bunions. It has anti-bacterial properties that can help prevent bacteria, remove dead skin cells, and reduce skin irritation. It also contains acetylsalicylic acid, which helps prevents calluses on foot.
- Crush 2-3 Aspirins with a mortar and dilute with water.
- Soak your foot in the water for 5-10 minutes.
- Do this every day for a better result.
Note: You may feel irritation or discomfort with this method; make sure not to touch your eyes when you use Aspirin.
Turmeric is another effective method to get rid of bunions. It contains the compound curcumin, which is an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant ingredient. Turmeric can help reduce inflammation and pain in the feet. It is also beneficial for many other diseases, such as arthritis.
You may have known indomethacin which is a type of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicine for bunions. However, research shows that turmeric has a better effect than this drug. You can take turmeric orally or apply it to the affected area.
- Mix a glass of lukewarm water with 1 teaspoon of turmeric. Drink it 2-3 times a day.
- You can also use curcumin capsules instead of turmeric powder. Make sure to read the instructions first.
- Alternatively, you can mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and a little olive oil. Apply the mix directly to your affected area 1-2 times a day until there is a significant change of the bunions.
Chamomile has been used for bunion treatment for centuries ago. In ancient times, Chamomile was considered to be a sacred herb God gave to humans. This is because chamomile can help treat a lot of diseases include bunions.
Chamomile tea has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties that help reduce inflammation, swelling, and pain.
- Drink a cup of chamomile tea several times a day. Do not throw the used and warm chamomile tea bags away. You can apply it directly to your affected area for 5-10 minutes.
- Also, you can mix water and 1 tablespoon of dried chamomile. Apply this paste on your affect area for 10-15 minutes; wash it off with clean water. Repeat this process2-3 times a day.
Method 2: Foot Exercises to Prevent Bunions and Relieve Bunion Pain
Physical therapy exercises such as foot exercises and toe stretches can effectively help you rest on your feet. Although these exercises do not help you get rid of the bunions completely, they can help relieve foot pain and increase flexibility. In addition, these exercises can be beneficial for your hammertoes or chronically bent toes.
Here are the 5 best foot exercises that may benefit people with bunions:
- Flexing and contracting Exercise: Stretch your toes and hold for 10 seconds. Repeat three or four times. Then bend your toes and hold for 10 seconds. Repeat three or four times.
- Picking Up Exercise: Place some marbles on the floor behind you. Please pick them up with your foot and place them in a bowl one by one. This exercise can be beneficial for your flexibility of toes.
- Walking on Sand Exercise: If possible, you can often walk on the sand. The sand will give you a gentle foot massage. This can help relieve the foot strain.
- Resistance exercises: Wrap your big toe with a small towel and pull it toward you. Then push your big toe forward against the towel. Repeat 5- 10 times. This exercise can help keep your foot flexible.
- Move exercise: Hold your big toe firmly with your hand. Gently manipulate the joint of your big toe to the left and return to neutral, then manipulate it to the right and return to neutral. Repeat this process with your big toe to the up and down several times.
Method 3: Modify Your lifestyle to Get Rid of Bunions
Rest your feet
Rest is essential for your feet, especially if you stand for a long time. Because standing will oppress your bunions, this will worsen the feet’ inflammation. You should take off your shoes and sit down for some minutes to let your feet get rest.
You can also try walking barefoot, which is a very effective method to rest your feet. This can improve the blood circulation of your feet and strengthen the bones and muscles in your feet.
Make sure to wear padded socks or thick slippers on carpeted floors; otherwise, walking barefoot may worse your bunions.
Change Your Shoes
The main reason why you have acquired bunions is that you wear poorly fitting shoes. When you wear shoes that do not fit properly, this will stop the blood flow and the synovial fluid from flowing through the foot.
Wearing wider shoes can help relieve the stress of your big toe and give enough wiggle room to your toe. This helps improves blood circulation and heals the bunions.
- Make sure that you are wearing the right size of shoes. If you wear tight-fitting shoes, even athletic shoes, you may have to let them go.
- If you have wide feet, it can be trickier to find the right shoes for you. It will be essential to fit shoes beforehand so that you will not have any foot problems.
- If you are fond of wearing heels, make sure your feet have a rest every once in a while.
- If you aren’t sure how to choose the best shoes for you, you can visit an athletic specialist.
- Try to avoid shoes with pointed toes and high heels, which will pull the big toe joint out of their place and make your bunions worse.
Read:10 Simple Homemade Tips to Get Rid of Shoe Odor
Try Bunion Pads or Shoe Inserts
This is an easy but effective method to correct your foot’s position. They can help take a weight off your toes and redistribute the pressure away from the affected joint.
- Buy a bunion pad or shoe Insert according to the size of your shoes.
- You can usually find them in local drug stores.
- Make sure to test the pads for some time first to ensure they can reduce the pressure.
Avoid Activities That Worse Your Bunions
Some activities such as Ballet dancing need to wear constrictive shoes, which can make your bunions worse. You should try to avoid these activities.
When you walk or run, try to use arch supports and supportive shoes. They can help you get rid of excessive pronation.
Method 4: Medical Treatments For Bunions
1. Over-the-counter Medications
Suppose you are experiencing severe bunions. Some over-the-counter medications such as ibuprofen or naproxen can help reduce the inflammation and pain of the feet. Make sure to follow your doctor’s advice.
In severe cases, you may choose a bunion surgery. Make sure to consult your doctor to find out the best bunions surgery for you. Bunion surgery is a quick way to remove bunions; however, it doesn’t guarantee the bunions may reoccur after surgery because the bone may regrow and result in bunions again. Therefore, surgery is not recommended unless it is a last resort.
In addition to doing all these things mentioned above, you should try to lose weight and choose the right type of shoe. This is essential to help you get rid of bunions at the soonest possible time.