Herbal Treatment for Myasthenia Gravis
It is rare autoimmune neuromuscular disease which affects muscles. The word Myasthenia gravis originate from Latin and Greek which literally means “grave muscle weakness”. Majority of people are not aware about this disease. It is mainly characterized by weakness of muscles. Weakness may be increased with activity but it can improves with rest. Nowadays it can be treated. There are several herbal medicines and therapies which help to reduce muscle weakness and improve their strength. There are different herbs which are useful in Myasthenia Gravis such as Ashwangandha, Brahmi, Gokshur, Shatavari etc. In this article we will discuss about common causes, symptoms and herbal treatment for Myasthenia gravis.
WHAT IS MYASTHENIA GRAVIS?
Myasthenia Gravis is a chronic autoimmune disease which is characterized by muscle weakness that involves voluntary (skeletal) muscles of body. The muscles those control movement of eyes, facial expression, chewing, swallowing and talking are sometimes involved. Other muscles that may also be affected are- breathing muscles and muscles that controls movement of neck and limb.
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES OF MYASTHENIA GRAVIS?
It is caused due to many factors which are given below:
- It is caused by defect in transmission of signal to muscles that interrupt the normal communication between muscles and nerves. In Myasthenia gravis it blocks the acetylcholine (neurotransmitter) binding to receptors.
- Body’s immune system attacks on the body.
- Enlargement of thymus gland (thymoma, a tumour of thymus)
- Other causes may include genetics, mental stress, some medicines like ciprofloxacin may cause blockage of neuromuscular transmission.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS?
Symptoms associated with this disease may vary from person to person and it depends upon the muscles involved in the myasthenia gravis.
The common signs and symptoms associated with Myasthenia gravis are given below:
- Fatigue and weakness
- Weakness of eye muscles
- Impaired Speech
- Impaired facial expression
To diagnose your disease the doctor will review your symptoms, medical history and some physical examination which are given below:
- Blood test- It helps to identify the antibodies that block receptors of acetylcholine.
- CT scan and MRI- It helps to diagnose the thymoma.
- Chest X-Ray.
As per Ayurveda, our body has tri energies- vata, pitta and kapha which is responsible for health. The imbalance of any three energies results in health complications. The main cause of Myasthenia gravis in ayurveda is due to vitiation of vata dosha. Due to vitiation of vata dosha progressively it lowers the neuromuscular activity.
Thus condition is known as Aavaranaja Vaatha Vyadhi.
HERBAL TREATMENT FOR MYASTHENIA GRAVIS
Myasthenia gravis can be treated with the help of herbal medicines which are safe to use without any side effect. Ayurveda provides natural treatment to reverse any diseased condition. It mainly works on root cause of disease and manage the symptoms with the help of herbs. These herbs help to balance the tri energies of body which is main cause of disease in Ayurveda.
PLANET AYURVEDA’S MEDICINES FOR MYASTHENIA GRAVIS
Planet Ayurveda is a herbal manufacturing company which offers 100% natural and pure herbal medicines for different diseased conditions in different formulations. These are made from pure natural herbs which have no side effects. There are different herbal remedies offered by Planet Ayurveda for the treatment of Myasthenia Gravis which are explained below:
1. Ashwagandha Capsules
It is 100% pure herbal capsules of Planet Ayurveda which is made from pure natural herb Withania somnifera. It is a herb which has great medicinal value.
- It is used to maintain overall wellbeing of health.
- It gives strength and immunity to body.
- It nourishes the brain to work quicker and sharper.
- It also helps to relive from stress and fatigue.
Dose: 2 capsules twice in a day with plain water after meals.
2. Brahmi Capsules
This is most effective natural supplement offered by Planet Ayurveda which is made from natural herb Bacopa monnieri that belongs to family Plantaginceae.
- It nourishes brain and helps in coordination between nervous system and daily activity.
- It is helpful in mood disorders. It is also helpful in relieving anxiety, stress and mental fatigue.
Dose: 1-2 Capsules twice daily after meal with plain water
3. Yograj Guggul
These are herbal tablets offered by Planet Ayurveda which is mixture of different herbs. The ingredients of Yograj Guggul are listed below:
- Guggul (Commiphora mukul)
- Mustak (Cyperus rotundus)
- Chitrak Mool (Plumbago zeylanica)
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis)
- Bhibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica)
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Pippali (Piper longum)
- Ajwain (Carum copticum)
- Black pepper (Embelia ribes)
- Gokhsura (Tribulus terrestris)
- Black cumin (Nigella sativa)
- Ajamoda (Trachyspermum roxburghianum)
- Cuminum cyminum
- Piper cubeba
- Ela (Elettaria cardamomum)
- Pluchea lanceolata
- Rock salt (Saindhav lavan)
- Coriander (Coriandrum sativum)
- Shunthi (Zingiber officinale)
- Marich (Piper nigrum)
- Dalchini (Cinnamomum zeylanica)
- Vetiveria zizanioides
- Abies webbiana
- Tejpatta (Cinnamomum tamala)
Benefits: The herbs used in this formulation have great medicinal properties. It is used in muscle problems, chronic pains and swelling around joints. It has anti-tumor, anti-inflammatory, pain relieving properties also. It helps to strengthen the muscles.
Dose: 2 tablets twice daily with lukewarm water after meals.
4. Atirasadi Churna
It is an herbal powder which is a mixture of different herbs which are listed below:
- Safed musli (Chlorophytum borivilianum)
- Kali musli (Curculigo orchioides)
- Semal Musli (Salmalia malabarica)
- Gokshur (Tribulus terrestris)
- Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus)
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)
- Akarkara (Anacylus pyrethrum)
- Vidari kand (Dioscorea tuberosa)
- Safed Behman (Centurea behen)
- Jaiphal/ Javitri (Myristica fragrans)
- Taalmakhna (Hygrophilla spinosa)
- Kesar (Crocus sativus)
Kali Musli: Commonly it is known as Black Musale. Its scientific name is Curculigo orchioides. It has anti-oxidant properties. It helps the body to restore energy and stamina.
Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera): Its common name is Indian Ginseng or Winter Cherry. It is an ancient herb which is used to treat different diseased conditions due to its great medicinal importance. It improves the body stamina and strength without causing any side effect.
Varahi Kand (Wild yam): Its root is used in different formulations because of its medicinal value. It also enhances strength and stamina in body and prevents ageing.
Benefits: All herbs used in this formulation have great medicinal importance. It is useful in relieving fatigue and helps to enhance stamina.
Dose: One tablespoon of powder with plain water or milk twice in a day.
DIET AND HOME REMEDIES
- Eat healthy and balanced diet that gives strength to your muscles.
- Consume food which is low in saturated fats and cholesterol.
- Include plenty of vegetables, fruits and grains in your diet.
- Avoid alcohol, tobacco and carbonated drinks.
- One should maintain a healthy weight.