by: LENA S.
- 1 cup Long grain Basmati Rice
- 1 cup Split Green Mung Dal (available at Indian grocers)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger (grated)
- 8 cups water
- 1 tsp turmeric
- salt to taste
- 2-3 tbsp organic clarified butter (ghee)
- In a large pot add oil and grated ginger. Add a couple pinches of salt and cook on medium heat until beginning to brown.
- Add in some spinach but only if well tolerated.
- Thoroughly wash the rice and mung dal until the water is clear. Then add both the rice and mung into the pot. Add the water, turmeric and salt (a tsp or so).
- Bring the kicharee to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cover and let gently simmer for 20 minutes.
- Uncover the kicharee and stir. Continue cooking until the water has mostly absorbed (sort of like overcooking the rice – you want a slightly risotto like texture). Salt to taste. (If you like the texture really smooth you can stir more vigorously at this point.)
- Stir in the ghee. Enjoy immediately (of course) or cool and store in your tiffin for lunch!