EMF Exposure: Dangers, Symptoms and Protection
by Dr. Jockers
EMF Exposure: Dangers, Symptoms, and Protection
EMF exposure is something all of us are encountering every day. Cell phones, computers, tablets, WiFi routers, microwaves, and other appliances are part of our modern life conveniences. While these tools and gadgets can be certainly handy and even necessary, you may wonder if they are safe. These appliances are sending out electric and magnetic fields (EMFs), or radiation that may affect your and your family’s health.
According to the World Bank, nearly 90 percent of the world’s population has access to electricity and electrical appliances. You probably use your phone, computer, and other electronics more than you can count (1).
Yet, EMFs may lead to a number of health symptoms, including fatigue, insomnia, headaches, dizziness, and nausea, and may even increase your risk of cancer. It is time to find out if they are safe to use and how to protect your health.
In this article, you will learn what EMFs are and what types of EMF exposure you may encounter. I will discuss the potential dangers of EMF and the symptoms of EMF exposure and EMF hypersensitivity. You will learn how to test for EMF exposure levels. I will also share some simple EMF protection strategies.
Types of EMF Exposure
Electric and magnetic fields (EMFs) are invisible areas of energy. You may also hear EMFs being referred to as radiation. They are related to the use of electrical power, as well as various forms of lighting, including man-made and natural lighting.
EMFs can be grouped into two main categories based on their frequency: non-ionizing and ionizing radiation. Non-ionizing radiation is a low-level radiation that includes appliances and tools that are thought to be relatively harmless to people. On the other hand, ionizing radiation is a high-level radiation that may be much more harmful to your body. In both cases, the intensity of the EMF exposure decreases as your distance from the object or EMF source increases (2, 3, 4, 5, 6).
Non-Ionizing Radiation Includes:
- Microwave ovens
- Cell phones
- Wireless (WiFi) routers
- Bluetooth devices
- Power lines
- House energy meters
- Smart Meters
Ionizing Radiation Includes:
- Ultraviolet lights
EMF Exposure Danger Levels
When discussing the danger levels of EMF exposure, you may run into opposing opinions because there isn’t any strong enough research that proved that EMF is harmful or how harmful it may be to human health. There is no question that EMF exposure may be harmful when it comes to high-frequency radiation. There is a reason that pregnant women shouldn’t get an x-ray to avoid harming the baby or you should not stay out on the sun too long to protect yourself from UV damage.
However, when it comes to low-frequency radiation, the controversy is on. According to the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARc), EMF exposure may possibly be carcinogenic to humans as supported by some studies.
The problem is that microwaves, cell phones, WiFi routers, and other objects may not lead to noticeable damage at first, only over time. Companies are also unaware of their products are potentially harmful or not. Actual harm may also depend on the frequency, power density, strength, and length of exposure to the EMFs. Symptoms of EMF exposure may also be similar to symptoms of other chronic health complaints (7).
I know that you want to know more about the EMF exposure you may be exposed to when using some everyday objects. Let’s look at what we know now.
Cell Phones and Cell Phone Towers
Most people use cell phones on a regular basis. You have probably noticed that when your phone is in high use, for example, you are talking to someone while traveling or the GPS is on while driving, your phone gets hot.
This is because your phone has to work harder while moving and it is also putting out more cell-damaging microwaves than normal, which also means more radiation exposure. Keeping your cell phone close to your body may also be dangerous.
While there is no conclusive evidence on the subjects, scientific case reports have linked women carrying their cell phones in their bras for years and developing breast cancer in the exact spot they had their phone on (8).
Another thing to consider is your proximity to cell phone towers. These towers have a tremendous amount of EMF emissions and it is advised to live at least 5 miles away to prevent unwanted health problems. The farther you are away from the towers, the less exposure you will have from them.
Microwave ovens only produce microwaves when they are in use with the door shut. During this time, these microwaves may be absorbed by your body leading to free radical damage.
Some may advise against standing in front of the microwave while at use for this very reason. Microwaves may also affect the nutrient retention of your food, however, more research is needed to fully back this claim (9, 10, 11).
Utility companies around the world are replacing electric, gas and water analog meters with pulsed radiation smart meter networks. These Smart Meters, (also called AMI, or AMR) eliminate meter reader jobs and are part of the “Smart Grid”, which is an expensive wireless system installed on our homes, businesses, and in our environment that customers pay for.
The electric meter operates around 900 mhz and 2.4Ghz. It constantly transmits and repeats data from 500 +/- homes in a mesh network, which includes collectors which repeat signals back to the utility via cell towers.
Depending on where your home is located within the mesh network will determine how much radiation your meter transmits. PG&E finally admitted that the electric meters send an average of 10,000 pulses per meter per day, at a peak power of 2 1/2 watts and a maximum of 190,000 per day! This has the potential to be very hazardous to our health.
WiFi EMF Exposure
WiFi is a relatively new technology. If you are part of the Millenial or older generation, chances are you recall life without it. Some organizations believe that WiFi is perfectly safe while others look at it as a public health threat. In reality, WiFi works in the range of 2.4 GHz frequency, just like your microwave oven.
The Environmental Health Trust warns us that WiFi and EMFs may add to one’s toxic body burden and its toxic effects may reach the brain. Some doctors and organizations, including Doctors for Safer Schools, also believe that WiFi may lead to certain health symptoms in children, including dizziness, weakness, trouble concentrating, fatigue, and anxiety (12, 13).
According to the American Cancer Society, your level of EMF radiation decreases that further, you are from power lines. If there are power lines across your home, you may measure its strength with a gaussmeter and speak to the power company to bury the lines for further protection.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) frequencies from power lines are regulated. However, there is no scientific evidence suggesting that they are fully safe for your health (14).
The primary differences between the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz wireless frequencies are range and bandwidth. 5GHz provides faster data rates at a shorter distance. 2.4GHz offers coverage for farther distances, but may perform at slower speeds.
There haven’t been nearly enough studies done on 5G. And as Dr. Joel Moskowitz points out, most 5G studies are misleading because they do not pulse the waves. This pulsing of the waves is no small detail. As Alasdair Philips from Powerwatch comments 5G will be more biologically active than previous generations of cellular technology.
Symptoms of EMF Exposure and EMF Hypersensitivity
EMFs may affect your nervous system and overall health in various ways. As you’ve learned, they may lead to free radical damage, cell damage, cancer growth, and other unusual growth under very high EMF exposure. However, you may experience symptoms and health issues even at lower EMF levels. Some people are particularly sensitive to EMFs.
Symptoms of EMF exposure and EMF hypersensitivity may include:
- Fatigue and tiredness
- Insomnia or sleep disturbances
- Lack of concentration
- Changes in memory
- Depression or depressive symptoms
- Loss of appetite or weight loss
- Painful or itchy sensation (dysesthesia)
- Tingling or burning skin
- Changs in an electroencephalogram measuring your brain’s electrical activity
- Hormonal changes
- Blood sugar issues
These symptoms are broad and may also be symptoms of many other health issues. Hence it is not always possible to know if your symptoms are due to EMF. It’s important that you visit your doctor if you have any of these symptoms.
There is also a good chance that your symptoms may be the result of the combination of issues, including EMF exposure, environmental toxins, and an unhealthy diet or lifestyle. Nonetheless, it may beneficial to test for EMF exposure levels to get the bottom of things and to reduce your EMF exposure levels.
Testing EMF Exposure Levels
To test your EMF exposure levels, I recommend the TriField EMF Meter Model TF2 unit. In my experience, it is the best EMF meter currently out there.
I love this product because it measures magnetic, electric, and radio frequency/microwave radiation. Using this TriField EMF Meter Model TF2, you may measure cell phones, tablets, laptops, desktops, TV radiation, WiFi radiation, power lines, Bluetooth radiation, microwaves, refrigerators, washing machines, and other home appliances, EMF radiation from cars, and basically anything else around you.
It is also designed to measured EMF radiation levels in the human body, so you can test your body as well. It provides accurate readings thanks to its magnetic setting with a 3-axis sensor. You can get readings in low-light settings and can even hear EMF radiation around you using its audio output feature. It’s user-friendly, competitively priced, and available online.
EMF Exposure Protection Strategies
While in our modern world, it is impossible to completely eliminate EMF exposure, it is certainly possible to reduce your exposure levels and employ some EMF protection strategies, including grounding, eating an anti-inflammatory diet, and other strategies. Let’s look at these EMF protection strategies one by one.
Reduce Your Daily EMF Exposure Levels
One of the most important EMF protection strategies is to reduce your daily EMF exposure levels.
Follow the following steps to lower your EMF exposure throughout your day:
- Keep your phone, other devices, and appliances off or on airplane mode as much as you are able to.
- Use hard-wire internet connections instead of WiFi whenever it’s possible.
- Limit your WiFi use to the necessary minimum.
- Turn off your WiFi router at night and whenever you are not using it.
- Use hard-wire computer peripherals instead of wireless or Bluetooth connections whenever possible.
- Make sure that the electrical wiring of your home is done properly.
- Keep your electronic devices, such as your cell phones, computers, and tablets as far from your body as possible. For example, you may want to use headphones while talking on the phone. Turn off and put your devices down when not in use instead of keeping them in your pocket or on your lap.
- Keep your cell phone and other devices out of your bedroom.
- Sleep away from any circuit breakers or large appliances that may be running overnight.
- Use dirty electricity filters to filter out dirty electricity. I like the GreenWave filters here
- Choose landlines or face-to-face contact whenever possible.
- Minimize your use of cell phones, computers, and other digital devices. Take regular digital detoxes. For example, taking Sundays offline may be a great idea.
Protect Yourself From Cell Phone Radiation
Life without cell phones is part of history. While cell phones can certainly be handy, it is also important to protect yourself from cell phone radiation.
Here are the steps you can make:
- Do not use your cell phone when it is charging.
- Switch off your cell phone when you go to bed at night.
- Avoid carrying your cell phone in your pocket.
- Put your cell phone on airplane mode when you are not using its wireless functions.
- Use earphones (not a Bluetooth headset) so you don’t have to put your cell phone close to your head.
- Choose to text instead of calling a person for little things.
- Avoid making or receiving calls in places with bad reception.
- If a long conversation is in place, opt to meet in person directly or call on a landline.
- Try this anti-radiation Safe Sleeve – which is what my family and I have on our phones. Check out the video below which explains more.
For more information on cell phones and cancer risk and how to protect yourself from cell phone radiation, I recommend this article.
Ground Your Body Daily
Grounding is a beautiful practice that can do so much for your health in both mind and body. If you think about it, walking around barefoot has been a staple part of human and animal life. Shoes have only been introduced to use relatively recently. However, shoes, sandals, and boots also keep us separate from the natural energy of the Earth.
Grounding helps us to connect with the Earth’s electrical rhythms. It allows your body to neutralize positive ions from your electronic devices. Grounding may offer some wonderful health benefits, including reducing stress, insomnia, headaches, fatigue, and chronic pain (15, 16, 17, 18).
Here is how you can practice grounding:
- Take off your shoes whenever possible.
- Sit down barefoot outside with your feet on touching the grass or soil.
- Walk barefoot on grass, sand, or soil. Moist ground or grass serves as the perfect electrical conductor.
- Let your body touch the Earth. Soak your feet or immerse your body in natural waters, such as lakes, oceans, and streams. Lay down on the grass or ground.
- Sit on a tree, lean on a tree trunk, or hug a tree to share some of its natural electricity.
- Keep plants around your house as well as they will emit a healthy EMF.
To learn more about the potential benefits of grounding, I recommend reading this article.
Use Qi Home Cell™ EMF Protection
To protect my home from dangerous EMFs, I personally use the Qi Home Cell™ EMF Protection. This technology emits a healthy anti-oxidant rich electromagnetic field that has a calming and healing impact on the body. While it is certainly an investment, I was compelled to get it when I realized how damaging EMF’s could be for my family and I have been very satisfied with the results and how calm everyone is in our house since we put this in.
This product is designed and engineered to provide a true sanctuary against EMFs and radiation in your home. It is similar to bringing the healthy EMF of the forest or the beach into your home and living space. It will improve your home life, air quality, water, food safety, energy levels, and overall health.
The nice thing about this product is my family and I don’t have to be concerned about dirty electricity inside the house, 5G or anything else while we are in the home because of the protective field that the Qi technology provides. Check out the video below to learn more and see why I was so impressed with this.
Be sure to check out the free webinar on the Qi device coming up this Tuesday, June 16th at 4pm EST. We will speak to the inventor of the Qi devices in more detail and even show you a demonstration of the Qi in action. I have also negotiated a great group buy discount for my community if you are interested in getting one of these.
Anti-Inflammatory Diet and Lifestyle
Eating an anti-inflammatory diet is crucial to protect yourself from damage from EMF exposure, to repair your body, and keep you healthy. The first step of an anti-inflammatory diet is to eliminate refined sugars, refined oils, unhealthy fats, processed foods, junk foods, artificial ingredients, and toxins from your diet. Next, fuel your body with anti-inflammatory foods.
Focus on nutrient-dense, anti-inflammatory foods, including leafy greens, such as kale and spinach, non-starchy vegetables, such as cucumber and celery, herbs and spices, such as turmeric and ginger, low-glycemic index fruits, such as berries and lemon, healthy fats, such as avocados and coconut oil, clean protein, such as organic grass-fed beef, pasture-raised poultry, wild-caught fish, and free-range eggs, nuts and seeds for fiber, and fermented foods, such as kimchi and sauerkraut for gut health.
Make sure that you also drink plenty of water for proper hydration.For more information on an anti-inflammatory diet, read this article. Besides eating an anti-inflammatory diet, it is important that you are living an anti-inflammatory healthy overall life.
Keep your stress levels low. Practice meditation, gratitude, and journaling. Spend time in nature. Have a designated me-time, but make sure to spend quality time with loved ones as well. Exercise regularly. Make sure to get 7 to 9 hours of quality sleep at night.
Use Anti-Inflammatory Herbs and Supplements
While diet certainly plays an important role in your overall health and protecting yourself from EMF damage, supplementation may also increase your body’s ability to protect you from EMF and keep you healthy. This is why I recommend a number of supplements to support your body.
Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Omega-3 fatty acids with EPA and DHA are incredibly important for keeping your inflammation levels low. They may lower pain, fatigue, and other symptoms of EMF exposure.
Melatonin helps to get back to your natural circadian rhythms. It promotes sleep and may help with fatigue, sleep disturbances, and insomnia associated with EMF. It may also protect against oxidative stress.
Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that may help to protect your body against oxidative damage. It may strengthen your immune system and boost your energy.
Vitamin E, especially when combined with vitamin C or other vitamins can be incredibly powerful. It may help to reduce inflammation, boost your immune system, and lower the risk of cancer.
Zinc is a powerful antioxidant. It helps with toxicity, inflammation, chronic stress, and digestive issues.
Selenium is a potent mineral. It is especially beneficial for your cognition, cardiovascular health, thyroid health, and hormonal health.
Anti-inflammatory Herbs and Bioflavonoids
Anti-inflammatory herbs, such as ginger, curcumin, and boswelia are powerful in reducing inflammation, including inflammation related to EMF. Combined with bioflavonoids, such as quercetin and rutin in Inflam Defense™ may further enhance their benefits.
Use BioActive Carbons
BioActive carbons are unique high energy compounds that come from deep within the Earth. BioActive Carbons are generated when important microbes decompose old plant matter and make it into nutrient-rich dirt and soil. BioActive Carbons contain two essential plant-based acid extracts: fulvic and humic acid.
These powerful compounds are throught to be able to absorb radiation and they also have an anti-oxidant effect on the body systems. One bioactive carbon product, called BioActive Carbon Foundation is very effective for absorbing radiation and we use it with our EMF sensitive clients.
Final Thoughts on EMF Exposure
Cell phones, computers, WiFi routers, microwaves, and other appliances are part of our modern life conveniences. While these tools can be certainly useless, they may not be as safe as you think. These appliances are sending out electric and magnetic fields (EMFs), or radiation that may affect you and your family’s health.
EMFs may lead to a number of health issues, including fatigue, insomnia, headaches, dizziness, and nausea. They may even increase your risk of cancer. Protecting yourself from EMF exposure is incredibly important. Follow EMF protection strategies as outlined in this article to protect your body and improve your health and well-being.
This Thursday, July 23rd at 4pm EST, I’m putting together a webinar explaining some of the existing and future dangers – and discussing one of the best current solutions, the Qi EMF device. This is the device my family and I have been using with great success over the last 18 months to protect us from dangerous EMF’s.
The webinar will be hosted by my good friend Trevor King, Producer of the “Live Longer” series. He has some very revealing short videos as part of the presentation, including footage of the Qi device in action.
We will speak to the inventor of the Qi devices in more detail and even show you a demonstration of the Qi in action. I have also negotiated a great group buy discount for my community if you are interested in getting one of these.
You will get the chance to ask your own questions at the end as well if you join us live. If you can’t make it live, you must register for the webinar in order to be sent the replay.
[To register, simply go here and enter your email.]
The whole thing should last an hour at the most and it’s an enjoyable time. We will send out the replay to anyone who registers so be sure to do that.
I hope you can join us. Blessings!
PS: Joining us LIVE is better as you get to take part in the Q&A. Hope to see you then.
Sources in This Article Include:
1. Access to electricity (% percentage of the population). World Bank. Link Here
2. Electric and magnetic fields. NIH National Cancer Insititute. Link Here
3. Electric and magnetic fields. NIH National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences. Link Here
4. Electromagnetic fields (EMF). World Health Organization. Link Here
5. EMF (Electromagnetic fields). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Link Here
6. Electromagnetic fields. Medline Plus. Link Here
7. IARC classifies radiofrequency electromagnetic fields as possibly carcinogenic to humans. World Health Organization: International Agency for Research on Cancer. Link Here
8. West, JG, Kapoor, NS, Liao, SY, Chen, JW, Bailey, L, Nagourney, RA. Multifocal breast cancer in young women with prolonged contact between their breasts and their cellular phones. Case Rep Med. 2013; 2013: 354682. PMID: 24151509
9. Electromagnetic fields and cancer. National Cancer Institute. Link Here
10. Microwave cooking and nutrition. Harvard Health Publishing – Harvard Medical School. Link Here
11. Electromagnetic fields and public health: Microwave oven. World Health Organization. Link Here
12. Wireless radiation/Electromagnetic fields increases toxic body burden. Environmental Health Trust. Link Here
13. Institute for Health and the Environment. Link Here
14. Radiation resources outside of EPA. United States Environmental Protection Agency. Link Here
15. Ghaly M, Teplitz D. The biologic effects of grounding the human body during sleep as measured by cortisol levels and subjective reporting of sleep, pain, and stress. J Altern Complement Med. 2004 Oct;10(5):767-76. PMID: 15650465
16. Sokal K, Sokal P. Earthing the human body influences physiologic processes. J Altern Complement Med. 2011 Apr;17(4):301-8. PMID: 21469913
17. Chevalier G, Sinatra ST, Oschman JL, Sokal K, Sokal P. Earthing: health implications of reconnecting the human body to the Earth’s surface electrons. J Environ Public Health. 2012;2012:291541. PMID: 22291721
18. Sokal P, Sokal K. The neuromodulative role of earthing. Med Hypotheses. 2011 Nov;77(5):824-6. PMID: 2185608